In Greek cuisine there is what appears to be an infinite variety of vegetarian fritters that are called keftedes. One of the most popular kind are the zucchini fritters (kolokithokeftedes), a delicious summer dish that is very famous throughout Greece. They originated on the island of Crete, but nowadays you can find them in every restaurant and they are traditionally eaten as an appetizer or a side-dish. What’s important is that they need to be crispy on the outside, and soft & creamy on the inside.
Well, here is the recipe:
- 500g zucchini, grated
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 bunch basil, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/3 bunch dill, finely chopped
- 1 bunch mint, only the leaves, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- Lime zest, of 2 limes (you can use lemon instead)
- 1 level teaspoon(s) cumin, ground (optional)
- 2 pinches chili flakes (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 80g all-purpose flour
- coriander, fresh, to serve (optional)
- slices lime(s), to serve (optional)
- Line a large bowl with a thin kitchen towel. Grate the zucchini on to the towel in the bowl, using the large blades of the grater. Sprinkle with a generous amount of salt to help the zucchini release more moisture.
- Mix and squeeze the mixture with your hands. Wrap in the towel and squeeze very tightly in your hands to release as much liquid as possible. The less moisture the zucchini mixture has, the crunchier your fritters will become!
- Transfer from towel to a clean, dry bowl. Finely chop the green part of the spring onions. Finely chop the mint leaves, dill and basil and add them all to the bowl. Add the lime zest, cumin, chili flakes, crumbled feta and 2 eggs. Mix until all of the ingredients are completely combined.
- Add the flour and mix just to combine. Do not overmix.
- Place a non-stick pan over medium to high heat. Add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. Pick up spoonfuls of the mixture and carefully add them to the hot oil. Do not crowd your pan.
- Gently press down on the patties to spread them out a little. Fry on both sides until nice and golden, just like pancakes! When ready, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels so they can drain from excess oil. Repeat the same process until all of your mixture has turned into crunchy fritters.
- Combine with a yogurt dipping sauce with freshly ground pepper and enjoy!